Saturday, June 28, 2014

2nd learning reflection

This section has been interesting because I had never really considered the actual definition for open in Open Educational Resource.  If I found a resource I liked, I would present it in the classroom and possibly share it with other teachers and completely ignore whether what I was doing fell under any correct definition.  It did not matter to me so much if it was copyrighted or now.  As mentioned, the open web provides an ease in sharing and using knowledge and it is hard to restrict that only to the knowledge the original owner wants to share.  For example, I have downloaded the cartoon Caillou off youtube, shown it in class and shared it with other teachers, all at no profit to me but also without the approval of the producers of the show.  This cartoon is not created solely for education but it is great for students who have very limited English.  Should it be considered a learning material?  Should I be allowed to use it for my Sub Saharan African students who would not have access to any high quality material if it was not free?

But the majority of this section dealt with resources released under an open license or in the public domain to be used and revised by others.  Very few materials actually fall under this definition.  The course is suggesting that all education materials should be free and provides many benefits and gains to prove it is ideal for both the student and the creator.  The majority of them talk about cost effectiveness and being cheaper.  But I’d argue that most universities and other educational institutions do not want something to be cheaper or cost effective for them and reduce the costs for learners.  They are happy to pass the cost onto the student and only become concerned with students’ costs when enrollment drops.  Perhaps I sound very jaded, but that has been my perception at a large public institution. 

So I think it will be extremely difficult to convince more creation of open materials.  It is naïve to think professionals will work hard to create high quality work when there is little motivation for them to do so and many motivating factors for them to copyright and sell the material.  There is too much money and reputation at stake for universities, educators and publishers and not enough sensitivity toward the needs of the students.  It will be some time before learning can be set free.


Considering I’m taking two MOOCs at the same time right now while also trying to compile a library of OERs for use in Rwanda, this concept is very dear to my heart and I’m excited to learn more!  From here I look forward to learning about the laws surrounding copyrights and what can be used or not if it is not under an open license or in the public domain.  I’d also love to learn the most common types of OERs, how they are used and where they are found.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kristin,

    I can appreciate your scepticism that many universities are reticent to license materials openly and happy to pass the costs onto students. However, the tide is changing. The OERu collaboration provides an example of more the 30 institutions from 5 continents who are dedicated to widening access to more affordable education using OER. The open access movement has reached the tipping point where there are more peer reviewed journals available under open access provisions than closed journals. Its only a matter of time for OER to become the norm. An you can help -- every resource you contribute will help grow the commons.

    The UNESCO Paris 2012 OER declaration calls on member states to release education materials funded by taxpayer dollars under open licenses. These resources have already been paid for - Why should students have to pay "twice" for their education materials?

    ReplyDelete